Why does BC cause a low libido?
- Birth control depletes key nutrients that play a role in energy levels, mood and thyroid function, which all impact libido.
- Birth control depletes many of the B vitamins, including riboflavin (B2), B6, folate (B9) and B12. These all have key roles in metabolism, supporting optimal body functioning, mood and energy. Low energy levels = decreased libido.
- Combined pills (containing estrogen and progestin) can lower testosterone (which is a key hormone for sex drive).
- Birth control increases copper levels in the body, which in turn competes with and lowers zinc levels.
- Zinc is critical for thyroid function
- Zinc is required for the conversion of inactive thyroid hormone (T4) to its biologically active form (T3).
- An under functioning thyroid (hypothyroidism) slows everything down leading to lower libido/sexual desire as well as fatigue, mood changes/depression.
- Zinc also boosts testosterone levels in males and females – a key hormone for sex drive.
What ingredients in Top Up Tonic correct this/when and how would you feel a difference?
- B vitamins are essential for all aspects of energy metabolism.
- CoQ10 improve energy levels.
- Zinc is essential for thyroid function and boosts testosterone (which plays an essential role in libido for males and females).
- Selenium is an important mineral for thyroid health.
- L-tyrosine supports optimal thyroid function and is a precursor to mood-related neurotransmitters like dopamine.
- Most nutrients take 6-8 weeks to bioaccumulate, leading to a more balanced mood (less depression and anxiety), decreased cortisol (stress levels), boost in energy (primarily due to the B vitamins), and a revved up metabolism/libido.
✓ Birth control has some not-so-hot side effects, including nausea, breast tenderness, weight gain, bloating, headaches, mood swings, and decreased sex drive/libido.
✓ Our Top Up Tonic is the perfect supplement for women on hormonal birth control. It replenishes nutrients your birth control strips away.